Sunday, December 28, 2008

Wrapping up the Christmas Season

The Christmas season wraps up for me with an all out family gathering frenzy. After 7 hour drive on Christmas morning, we arrive at my sister's home, where we all gather for food, drink, catching up, present exchange, and many excited children running around. (and I do mean running!).
My camera comes with me, but rarely do I feel inspired to use it. The memories that come with this day must be remembered securely in my head.






But my camera did come out prior to this Christmas finale.......



In the weeks leading up to Christmas, there is an essential part of the Yuletide season I try not to miss - The Christmas markets in Europe.





The experience is an outdoor, sensory overload that includes many tastes, sounds, smells and sights that I now associate with the Christmas season.

Here you can find many hand crafted items displayed and sold throughout the street markets. A central theme to all festivities is the huge decorated Christmas tree.
This year I toured the markets with the latest toy for my camera. A lensbaby lens (which I ordered while attending the Photo Expo held in NYC every Fall).






My new lens is a shift and tilt lens for a more 'impressionistic' image. I mainly focused on various details I would find at the many vendor stands in the market.

These views featured individual sights that may have gotten overlooked by the plethora of holiday objects competing for attention.

By singling out small details from my journeys through the markets of Germany and Belgium, I can still sense the festive chaos in these colorful shapes and forms. For me it's a step back into the whirlwind of seasonal energy associated with a trip to the Kindermarket.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love the bright saturated colors - I'm curious as to what some b&w or sepia might look like w/ the lens. Does a larger view work as well or only close up?

Susan Kozlowski said...

Playing with the lens for the first time, I inially liked the look of close up details. I had to be careful not to ommit too much to the "sweet spot" of sharpness, and otherwise portray a blurry mess (which did happen). My next challenge will be stepping back a bit and using larger views. Thank you for looking and your comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin